Wednesday, December 19, 2007

This Pie is Cold

So I had it checked. And as it turns out, my enthusiasm wanes quickly. Boo to me.

But never fear, loyal reader(s?), I won't soon let this thing die. At least, I can't now, what with two new additions to the roster. Thanks a lot, you two. But in all seriousness, welcome aboard Ether/Invin. ^_^

Early this morning, my pa and I packed up the horses and mozied on down to the nearest city to do some Christmas shopping. Well, we didn't really take any horses, but I'm spending the three-and-a-half-week break from school back home in Horse's Hoof, Idaho, and there's quite the mess o' horses here. (Actually, it's not called Horse's Hoof, but it looks like a town that might be). Yes, we went one week before Christmas day; and, no, I didn't put any thought into it until I got to the city. Still, my failure to plan posed little hindrance to my commercial efforts. We got out of there a few hours ago, and even arrived home in time to catch an episode of Just Shoot Me. (Actually, that's not true either, but if there's any show I could pick to watch that I don't watch now, it'd be Just Shoot Me. Mr. Spade slays me.)

Following my train of thought as it careens off the track and spirals down into the rocky cliffs below, let's talk about bad movies. Namely, bad sequels. Even more . . . uhm, namely . . . let's talk about American Pie Presents: Beta House. Now, as much as I would hate to watch the original American Pie, or any of its immediate sequels, with, say, my aunt, I'd be lying if I said it didn't have its moments. But those movies had two key ingredients that made them successes, which are noticeably lacking in Beta House. Namely (I'm up to the N's in the dictionary!), the all-important element of dramatic tension, and the original freaking characters. In this--what, the fifth?--rendition of the Pie series, the main character is a Stifler. And his older (cousin?) who helps him along in the trials and tribulations of pledging the Beta House fraternity is also a Stifler. And the main character/cousin duo in the movie before this, The Naked Mile, was . . . wait for it . . . also a pair of Stiflers. But for all these Stiflers running about, you won't see a single frame of Jim, Oz, or Finch in Beta House. (Jim's goofy father stays on as a gimmick. Hurray.) And the film's dramatic tension was pretty much the main character getting over his premature--um, issues--with his girlfriend for half the movie, and this not-too-exciting contest for charterhood between the Betas and the Geek house for about the last third. And, yes, an official Geek house on campus is a stretch, for any screenplay.

So, pretty much, don't spend your money to see this movie. It's got a laugh or three, but all in all it's not worth your time.

Although, I suppose if you were really concerned about how you spent your time, you wouldn't have wasted it reading this mental spew. ^_^

(I'm starting on the S's next week!)

No comments: